February 1, 2015

Cod with Pico de Gallo

I am new to the world of eating fish.  I was always turned off by the smell and texture of it whenever my mom cooked it.  But, since my husband loves it, he made me try salmon first.  It was delicious!  I have since tried a variety of different fish and I can't say anything bad about it! We eat fish once a week, and I am always trying to come up with new ways to enjoy it.  Here is one of my favorite for Wild Caught Atlantic Cod.

Ingredients:

4 - 4 oz. cod fillets (or any other fish you like, works well with salmon and tilapia as well)
1 tsp olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Pico de Gallo:

2 ripe locally grown tomatoes (when available)
1 small onion (you can use a sweet onion, shallots, purple onion, whatever you like)
1/4 - 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar (depending on how much liquid you want in it)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper (varies depending on how hot you want it)

Directions:

Prepare the Pico de Gallo by dicing the tomatoes and onions and placing them in a bowl with a lid.  Add the remaining ingredients and give a stir.  Cover and let sit on the counter for about 30 minutes or in put in the fridge for longer.

Salt and pepper both sides of the fish.  Add the olive oil to a pan on medium high heat.  Once the oil is hot, add the fish.  Sear for 3 minutes on one side before flipping to the other side.  Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Serve the Pico de Gallo on top of the fish, and serve with a side of mixed veggies.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment